June 27, 2007

The Village of Hope



Well, within the span of three or four days it has somehow worked out that I (Rusty) will be going to The Village of Hope in Ghana, West Africa. This trip is not about liesure travel and seeing sights. This is about humanity. It is about co-suffering to the extent possible with people who suffer. I'm a little overwhelmed about the trip, I know it will be demanding and hard. However, this trip puts many things in perspective. I haven't even gone yet and I'm already deeply touched by the web site: http://www.thevillageofhope.com/. It is a place where great light pierces intense darkness; where charity meets poverty; where compassion meets suffering. We need more places like this and through Rachel's interviewing process I'm learning Memphis has some visionary leaders making similar endeavors in our communities. There really are some remarkable people using there resources to do some great good in the world (I somehow missed that fact in my more angstful youth).

I still don't know the history of Village of Hope very well. However, I feel like the women and men who created the place should get a special jewel in their crown. The travel group leaves out on July 6th and returns July 24th. So, Rachel can finally have a vacation from me :)

Well, hope all of you are well. I'll try to keep you updated on the trip.

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Blessings for a safe journey and for much fruit in the lives of the people you meet and in your life, as well. We'll keep you in our prayers.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Rusty,
Sure wish I had your email so I could send you this website - it's a different perspective on the VOH by the American missionary who is currently working there.
web.mac.com/tommydrinnen
You probably won't get this message before you leave. You are going to find that the kids at the VOH are doing great. They are loved and well cared for. They live in luxury compared to the surrounding villages.
I know that God will use your gifts while you are there.
God Bless,
Kelly D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home